Monday, July 25, 2011

Reflection

Just want to share something that struck me today as I prayed over part of Psalm 63 (2-6)

"O God, you are my God, for you I long;
for you my soul is thirsting.
My body pines for you
like a dry, weary land without water.
So I gaze on you in the sanctuary
to see your strength and your glory.

For you love is better than life,
my lips will speak your praise.
So I will bless you all my life,
in your name I will life up my hands.
My soul shall be filled as with a banquet,
my mouth shall praise you with joy."
------
"Long"
"Thirst"
"Pine"

Such rich words. Each denoting such an intense, all encompassing desire, demanding all of one's attention and effort.

And these are the words the Psalmist uses to describe his desire for God. Longing for Him, like a kid on the last day of school on the brink of summer. Thirsting for Him, like for water after and hour outside in Enterprise. Pining for Him, like a wife thinking of her husband off at war.

Such do our hearts feel for God. At times we cannot pinpoint the feeling, we just know there is an emptiness...a restlessness within. We long to be happy...to be loved...to be made whole. And we wonder, at times, if we are crazy for hoping...for believing that these intense, deeply laden feelings may ever be requited.

It is only faith...only believe in a loving God that could lead the Psalmist to respond as he does...

"For your love is better than life...My soul shall be filled as with a banquet, My mouth shall praise you with joy."

His love is the only banquet that can fill us. For our desire is bottomless and only His love is eternal and abiding enough to fill it. Only His his love can fill to the brim and overflow into a Praise of Joy.

A Praise of Joy. This is ultimately what we are made for--to make a Joyful noise of Thanksgiving to our Lover and Creator. This is what a human life looks like fulfilled. This is the best thing. In fact, it is everything. We have only to allow our longings...our thirsts...our pining to be filled by the One who can. The One who is.

"Our hearts are restless until they rest in Thee"
-St. Augustine

Closing Prayer:

Come and Fill what is lacking
Fill to the Brim and overflow around
Have Mercy on the cottonmouth of heart
Soften the pining of body and mind
Respond to the longing of spirit and grit
Vessels begin to crack when long without water
The Potter is needed also to Fill
So come and Fill as you Mold
That Joy may overflow and grow
Bringing taste and sight to a world groaning
Praise is the Remedy
May its balm fill the air

AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment