Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Enterprise, Alabama: St. John the Evangelist

Well, it has been about a year since my last post.

I'm gonna give this another go and shoot for shorter, more frequent posts.

I have been assigned to serve in a parish in Enterprise, AL named St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church. I have been here about a week and a half and have really been enjoying meeting the folks around here.

I posted two pictures on my facebook page yesterday which I will go ahead and share again.

Picture of the sun setting over the church as Father Gregory and I took a walk the other day

Here is shot taken today after Barbara's Funeral Mass. Fr. Gregory Okorobia is on the right. He is from Nigeria. Went to Seminary there. Later got a Doctorate in Spain in Systematic Theology. Served in Nigeria for awhile. Then in Oregon for about 12 years. Also got a Masters in Liturgy from Notre Dame University. Now in Alabama for about 2 years. Pretty incredible guy. And my pastor for the summer. I'm blessed.

FROM TODAY:


Father and I start each day with an hour of Silent prayer, sitting before the Blessed Sacrament. It is a great way to start the day. And I am impressed by Father's commitment to this prayer. I do my best to stay awake and remain prayerful for the entire hour. Coffee helps. God too.


This is Mrs. Anne. Really sweet lady who was recently widowed after 65....that's right.....65 years of marriage. Raised 6 kids and is still going strong. Her faith, humor, and kindness are contagious, refreshing, and make you want to be a better person. Carol, another lady in the parish, and I brought here Communion today and visited for awhile. She was going to stand on the coffee table to even out the picture but I told her not to worry about it. haha

Kids on the way to Dothan's refreshing Water World. About 18 kids from Enterprise drove up to this water park today to meet up with Youth Groups from both Dothan and Eufaula. We were blessed with great weather, food, and times. Thanks to all the parents who took the afternoon/evening to drive. Thanks to all the kids for coming and enjoying. Kid in the back right was either enjoying...or having a minor stroke...hahahahaha


Great to catch up with some old friends today. Edgar (L) and Victor "The Lesser" as I like to call him (by me) are in the Youth Group from Eufaula where I was last summer. I really miss those guys, so it was great to see them. Also, Zack is another Seminarian who is actually in Eufaula this summer. He is from Prattville and will be entering his first year in Major Seminary this fall and his third year overall. We study at different seminaries, so I really enjoy any chance I get to catch up with him or any of the other guys during the summer.

Great day.

Thanks God.

Peace ya'll

No comments:

Post a Comment